Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Some never outgrow it

Well, I've been slowly trying to re-connect with folks from South River with the idea that we might have a re-union in 3 years. It's hard to believe that 50 years will be coming up. One would think that by this time all the grudges, nastiness, backbiting, and other high school adolescent behavior would be a thing of the past. Being in psychiatry means that I subscribe to the idea that people develop, mature, and grow and that they are capable of change. Being a realist, I know that is not always the case.
I had an interesting experience with this social networking. Apparently someone from high school looked me up through the university, and sent me an email to my professional email address. I paste it here: "Hey aren't you the Wanda Troyanowski from SR with the crazy parents and big time problems? How's it hangin?" The email address gives no clue as to this cowardly person's identity and frankly I do not care who it is. Talk about someone with big time problems.
Yes, I am the Wanda nee Troyanowski from SR who had "crazy" parents. My mother was bipolar, my father drank and had a big time personality disorder and it was an abusive family. My brother was not the epitome of mental health and I had a pretty grim time of it. Friends were almost non existent because I didn't want to bring anyone home. Odds should have been that my life should have ended as bitterly as theirs -- or as obviously disturbed as my email friend "angelover" who sent me that snarky email.
But -- I got over it and got out of there and was successful beyond anyone's including my own expectations. Seems that some people simply don't have the capacity to turn it around. Angelover, you only wish that you were as blessed as I am. I hope you find some measure of peace with yourself.

No comments: