Sunday, March 22, 2009

Motor mouths

Not that I am not annoying in some ways, which I readily acknowledge AND better yet that I am aware of and in control of much of the time. I know when I am being annoying and I can stop and start because I have that self-awareness. Sometimes I use my annoying-ness deliberately. But the issue is that self-awareness is there.
That kind of awareness seems to allude others. For example, there are a number of people whose friendship I value, but they have qualities that make being with them a mixed bag. Sort of a push-pull or approach-avoidance situation. These are speed-talkers with whom it’s hard to get in a word in when trying to have a conversation. There are times I feel like yelling, "Will you please JUST SHUT UP!"Example: One friend will give me every single little detail on the most mundane things or will tell me things that I already know how to do, or will tell me in excruciating detail about subjects I don’t care about, or about people I don’t know and will never meet. For instance, s/he can't just say there was a rude customer in front of her/him at the grocery store. S/he'll tell you just about everything that led up to her/him being in the grocery store-the time s/he woke up this morning, how s/he couldn't find her shoes, etc. Twenty minutes later s/he'll finally get to the story about the rude customer.Another example: Another friend. S/he talks and talks and talks and talks....You get the point. You can't break in to give your opinion or what/not because s/he's already on another topic. S/he'll call me up and starts talking about her/his problems right away with barely (if at all!) asking me how I am doing. Thirty minutes to an hour later, after my eyes have long glazed over, s/he’ll ask a question and because I’ve dissociated I have no idea how to answer.
Another example: Friend who is almost a narcissist. Everything is about him/her and how s/he is and what s/he has done – never bothers to ask what I have done. Talks about him/herself way too much and again, will have to give me every single little detail about everything. If I try to get a word in edgewise this person simply increases the decibel of speech or keeps going on and on and on right over what I have tried to say.
Worse yet, no amount of re-direction, changing the subject, or bluntly saying that I don’t care about John and his divorce and how much alimony he is paying and that his divorce is because he decided he was gay etc. etc. makes a whit of difference. And body language?? Forget about it. They are too busy blathering to even pick up on body language. I love these people but damn do they get annoying! All I feel that I ever say is "Yeah, uh-huh, ok" etc. I mean occasionally I get a few words in but only when I am rude. And then I get interrupted. There have been times I can put down the phone with these friends and go get a drink of water or go to the bathroom AND THEY ARE STILL TALKING!!!These friends will never asked about me, and I never get much of a chance to talk about myself. What I have with them is not a CONVERSATION, it is being TALKED AT. Sadly, these chat-aholics, not only don’t have any self-awareness, but because of their lack of response to cues and lack of self awareness tend to drive others away from them. A chatty person, more than likely always was & always will be because they need an audience to unload on. Maybe they're not capable of shared conversation, maybe they don't care. We can't expect them to include us, stop & take a breath & let us join in or spend any time asking about us if past experiences have shown this isn't the case. To think otherwise is folly. So I have to suck it up or lose friends. But, wow, do I feel depleted after I am with them.

No comments: